Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Favorite Mashups

Someone told me today that about 10 new mash-ups are hitting the web every day. It’s probably a lot more than that.

What’s a mashup, you say?

Wikipedia says it best … a mash up is “a web application that combines data and/or functionality from more than one source”.

Sounds simple, doesn’t it?

Someone comes up with an idea… Wouldn’t it be nice if I could view a Google map of say Vail, Colorado? While I am looking at that, I want to see all the photos of Vail that have been uploaded on Flickr. I also want to know about the best books on Amazon.com about Vail… and I want a special events calendar that will show me all the happenings there. I love this… it’s all about me! Oh did I say I want the weather too… and I’d like to socialize with other people who are interested in Vail too. Voila – just go to mapdango.com. It’s an amazing combination of a load of useful sites.

Here are a couple of my other favorites mash ups…

VibeAgent.com – Hotel search, user reviews, plus a Q&A section, and links to real-life people. You get trustworthy hotel recommendations written by people (or as they call them, agents) who share tastes and preferences.

Kayak.com – searches over 100 airline, hotel and vacation booking sites, often finds the best deals.

TripIt.com – Cool site that lets you gather your flight, hotel, car, dinner, etc reservations into one tidy itinerary and then share it with others.

No comments: